Inconsistent chatter from a Sacramento-based 'Sconi attorney.

Friday, November 25, 2005

A Question of Competence

Former FEMA Head Michael Brown:

E-mails sent by Brown during and immediately after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast reveal that he was looking for a dog sitter, chatting about shopping and showing concern about his appearance during the tumultuous time.

In one e-mail, sent on Aug. 29 as Katrina was pummeling the Gulf, a FEMA public affairs official tells Brown the outfit he wore on a television appearance looked "fabulous," to which Brown replies, "I got it at Nordstroms," then adds, "Are you proud of me? Can I quit now? Can I go home?"

CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reports that an hour later, as thousands of evacuees huddled in the Superdome "shelter of last resort," Brown fired off another email: "If you'll look at my lovely FEMA attire you'll really vomit. I ama fashion god." (sic)

And after the levees failed and the situation grew even more desperate, FEMA's point man in New Oreans pleaded for Brown to send more help. "... you know the situation is past critical," wrote Marty Bahamonde. "Estimates are many will die within hours." Just four minutes later Brown wrote back a light message: "Thanks for the update. Anything specific I need to do or tweak?"

In another, an aide reminds Brown to pay heed to his image on TV, suggesting that he roll up his sleeves. By Sept. 2, Brown expressed inundation with the disaster response. He wrote to a GOP consultant who had requested a meeting, "I'm trapped now! Please rescue me!"

The following day, Brown wrote to a fellow FEMA employee: "I feel like I'm getting the s--t beat out of me …" In response to an e-mail with a subject reading "U ok?" Brown wrote on Aug. 30, "I'm not answering that question." But he did ask the fellow FEMA employee if he knew of a good dog sitter or even "any responsible kids."

No comments: