Inconsistent chatter from a Sacramento-based 'Sconi attorney.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Did Phil Simms just invite Steve Young to live with him?

Steve Young picked on the wrong family.

The Hall of Fame quarterback stirred things up earlier in the week with his comments about Bucs QB Chris Simms' mental toughness.

"I worry that he grew up in a much different atmosphere, [a] laissez-faire kind of atmosphere," Young said during ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown." "And I'm worried that he doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with the information overload that comes with the NFL."

That comment set off Simms' father, former New York Giants QB Phil Simms.

"Come to my house, live with me, and let's see how laissez-faire it is," Simms said Tuesday on a media conference call. "I don't know how Steve Young lives his life, but I don't live mine that way. And I didn't raise my kids that way.

"You can say whatever you want about my son, but one thing that'll get me mad, and I'll stand in your face about it, is about toughness."

Chris Simms, who is seeking his third consecutive win as the Bucs' starter, said he was unaware of Young's comments until his agent called and told him. He conceded Young is entitled to his opinion, but doesn't agree with it.

"In the environment I grew up in, being the son of Phil Simms, you had to be mentally tough," he said. "Especially going to the Giants games and hearing people yell at your dad in the stands. If it was one thing I did, it was taking pride in being mentally tough."

As of press time, Steve Young was unavailable for comment. However, an unidentified representative suggested that Mr. Young was mulling Mr. Simms offer over the holiday weekend.

No comments: