Inconsistent chatter from a Sacramento-based 'Sconi attorney.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Firebirds Sweep a Twin Bill

The Sacramento Firebirds, competing in the 18AAA level of Sacramento NABA, swept a doubleheader over the Sacramento Patriots on Sunday. Behind solid hitting and timely pitching, the Firebirds won the first game 15-5. In the nightcap, the Firebirds came back from being down by 7 runs, and won 15-12.

Newcomer, Justin Hein, made his debut in the first game, with a 6 pitch walk, and scored off from a grand slam. Although looking a tad bit rusty in the field, he was able to field the only 2 balls hit his way, and made a good play fielding a throw-out at 2B. He did commit a bonehead play in the first inning, when he failed to cleanly catch the turn of a potential doubleplay ball. This error cost the team early, but they were able to overcome.

In the second game, Mr. Hein went 1-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. He drove in the decisive run with a liner off from the pitcher's foot that caromed into right-field. In the field, he had a couple of opportunities to redeem himself, but had difficulty with the sun. This lead to infield pop-up dropping for a hit, and two hits up the hole when he did not react fast enough and was unable to knock them down.

"Overall, I was satisfied with my performance," says Hein, who was noticeably limping after an apparent hamstring pull. "I think I can still play ball. Most of my shortcomings were due to being rusty. I mean, I haven't played an organized game for years." Hein last appeared in a competitive baseball game in 2002 for the Mukwonago Lakers of the Land O' Lakes Baseball League in Southeastern Wisconsin. "However, had I been in better shape, I probably could have overcome some of my instinctual errors and recovered. But that is what the early season is for."

No comments: